• Population: 14 million（2015）
• GDP: £120 billion (2016)
• Chengdu is the 4th largest city in China by permanent resident population, and is China’s largest sub-provincial city
• In 2016, Forbes predicts that Chengdu will be one of the world’s famous metropolises in the next decade.
Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan Province in Southwest China. China’s State Council has nominated Chengdu as the country’s western centre of logistics, commerce, finance, science and technology. Chengdu is an important hub for transportation, communication, manufacturing and agriculture.
Chengdu is served by Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport located 16km southwest of the city centre. It is the busiest airport in Central and West China, and the 4th busiest nationwide. The fertile Chengdu Plain is often referred to in Chinese as “The Land of Abundance“, and is inhabited by China’s most popular animal – the giant panda.
• Food and drink
Key Economic Zones and Businesses
• Sichuan FAW-Toyota Motor Company (SFTM) was co-established in 1998 by the China FAW Group and the Toyota Motor Corporation as Toyota’s first joint venture in China. SFTM’s plant covers an area of over 455,000 m2 and has capacity to produce 30,000 Toyota Coaster and Toyota Prado models each year.
• Dongfang Electric Corporation (DEC), with its headquarters located in Chengdu, is one of the largest enterprise groups under the direct administration of the Chinese Central Government. DEC is one of China’s top enterprises in the technological and heavy machinery manufacturing industry. It is engaged in R&D of cutting edge technology, contracting international engineering projects and exporting equipment and whole plants.
• Tianfu New District is part of the regional planning of the Chengdu-Chongqing Economic Zone and is currently under construction. Tianfu New District, which covers an area of more than 1 million m2, will be transformed into an international and modern urban zone that will accommodate advanced manufacturing and high-end service industry enterprises.
• Chengdu Tianfu Software Park (TSP) is one of China’s 10 largest software industry bases. TSP has a planned construction area of 37 million m2 and is located in the southern part of the Chengdu Hi-Tech Zone. TSP accommodates more than 400 enterprises, of which around 40% are foreign funded. Over 40,000 people work at the TSP.
·Investment keeps a faster growth with an improvement of investment
·Innovation effect is obvious. Chengdu is the only city which covers
three national demonstration bases.
·The export-oriented economy has improved. Rong Ou fast rail delivery
value made a growth of 169%, 140 projects participate in the “The Belt
and Road construction, and the world’s top 500 enterprises in Chengdu
increased to 271.
Useful Online Resources
·The Official Website of Chengdu
·Chengdu Municipal Commission of Commerce
·Chengdu Investment Promotion Commission
·Chengdu Administration for Industry & Commerce