• Urban population: 18.38 million (2015)
• Total municipality population: 20.16 million (2015)
• GDP: £175 Billion (2016)
• GDP up 10.7 percent year-on-year in 2016
• In 2016 Chongqing recorded the second fastest growth rate in China
Chongqing is a large modern city located in Southwest China. It is China’s fourth municipality after Beijing, Shanghai, and Tianjin and the only municipality not located on the east coast of China. Due to its locations and size, Chongqing provides convenient water, land, and air transportation.
Home to many manufacturers and transportation hubs, Chongqing serves as the economic centre of the upstream Yangtze River basin. It is already the biggest inland city of the country and there are plans for further extensive growth.
• Automobiles and motorcycles
• Petroleum and natural gas chemistry
• Equipment manufacturing
• New materials
• High-tech industry
Key Economic Zones
• Chongqing Economic and Technological Development Zone is the earliest national economic and technological development zone in West China. Their are six major industries in this zone including automobile and motorcycle, biomedicine and chemical engineering. There are around 500 foreign invested companies in the zone, including BP, Honda, Visteon and Formosa Petro-chemical.
• Chongqing Liangjiang New Area is a new project located in the main urban district of Chongqing, just north of the Yangtze River. Chongqing Liangjiang New Area is predicted to play an important role as a manufacturing base and comprehensive transport hub. Within the New Area will be the International Auto Town which is planned to produce 3 million car engines per year.
Famous Companies in Chongqing
• Chongqing Chang’an Automobile Group is a state-owned automobile manufacturer whose headquarters are based in Chongqing. The company‟s production is primarily composed of low-end passenger cars, mini vans and small trucks that are used for commercial use. The company is currently one of the top four Chinese automakers.
• Chongqing Machinery & Electronics Holding Group is a large state-owned enterprise which specialises in automotive machinery and automotive parts, electrical appliances, general machine tools and nonferrous smelting equipment.
• Chongqing Energy Investment Group is an enterprise that focuses on energy investment and exploitation, utilisation and other energy services. Its main businesses include the investment, development and trade of coal, electricity and natural gas.
• Chongqing Construction Engineering Group is a large-scale state-owned construction group, based in Chongqing. The company undertakes contracting of large residential construction projects and road construction deals.
• Three industries develops coordinately, the economic structure is significantly improved
• The supply of consumer market is adequate, consumer structure continues to upgrade.
• With the rapid development of foreign trade, the degree of economic openness has increased significantly.
Useful Online Resources
Chongqing Commerce Commission
China Council for the Promotion of International Trade, Chongqing Sub-council
Chongqing Investment Promotion Association
British Consulate-General Chongqing